It’s Winter officially and it’s an ideal time to read a book in a cozy warm place. I want to test how serendipity works in all my social networks and test how dynamics with the situation I’ll describe will unfold. I want to give away a book, the one for winter reading, an interesting novel (meta novel I’d like to say) by Italo Calvino, If On a Winters Night a Traveller. I have read it only once, it’s a Vintage edition and it’s brand new. I dared not to write the end, my vision of ending (though I did write much earlier a story about the Reader) so it’s untouched from my usual scribble on margins or end covers. I wanted initially to send a book to one of my friends, but then I realised that all of them would love to read the book, and I only have one, so… it is Winter, officially now. The book was sent to me this Summer, as a merchandise item, the book as I mentioned, is brand new, no dedication or any kind of lines. Thus, I would like to de-virginise it and write a tiny note, if you allow, and send directly to anyone of you, wherever in the world you are at the moment. Propositions for entering the serendipity travelling book project:
1. to leave a comment, if you really want to read this novel, or if you like Calvino’s work, just in 1- 2 lines why would you like to read this book (apart from the obvious reason if you are a passionate reader or a writer).
2. anyone can send comments, including friends, contacts, colleagues, followers, strangers, everyone is equal opportunity to get the book.
3. when I choose the comment I like the most, I’ll send the book wherever the person lives, and you can use my email for contact (please don’t send me on email comments or why would you like If on a winters night a traveller)
4. you have to promise me that upon reading the book, you’ll also send it to someone randomly, wherever in the world, either locally or internationally, and ask them to do the same (the note in the book to be followed). If you have a blog - would be nice to write a short blog post on that, if not - then tumblr, if not a tumblr, then twitter, oh well, find a way to shout out and distribute this message, OK? Give everyone a chance to read the travelling book and get involved. Also, I have registered at BookCrossing, my profile, so I will track the book via this service.
5. don’t forget to take a photo of the book and where you are, when you get it, or upon reading or during the reading, that would be nice. You can use a regular camera, if you don’t have one, you probably do have a mobile phone. And send it to blog, twitpic, or maybe flickr (it’s free), and let me know about it, send links.
6. before you send the book to some random person, ask them to proceed the same way as I did, the way you did, and on and on. Don’t lose the trace of the book, it would be nice to map out where the book is travelling.
It took me one evening and one early morning to finish reading the book, but I was too much into it. You can take it easy and read your own rhythm, you are the reader after all. The book is in English, translated from Italian. Be kind, and handle the book with care.
Ok, comments are open now, for any other related questions feel free to email me on danica at danicar dot org. I hope you will enjoy If On a Winters Night a Traveller, and I will close the comments on December 29th (in a week) and then choose the comment I like the most, and ship it wherever before December 31st. Who knows maybe other folks who wanted to read the book will have the chance to read it after someone else… Now, feel free to comment and share your thoughts on, beside obvious assuming you like books and like reading and/or Italian literature, why would you like to get into the story of Calvino’s novel If On A Winter’s Night A Traveller?